Friday, August 1, 2008

sonny-girl

my dryer broke.

i posted a help wanted ad on craigslist. no go.

i started making phone calls. i got this funny guy named jim.

he said he'd be over in 20 minutes. i was sold.

jim is probably about 78 years old. he got out of his van, smiled at me, and said, 'well, son, here i am.' i am sensitive about my gender these days. mostly, i wished i passed differently than i do. and mostly, i just don't want it to be a a big deal, whatever gets me through the interaction.

he looked at me a moment longer. and said, 'ah, you're a sonny-girl, huh? not a son, not a girl. you're my sonny-girl for today.'

i was in love. instantly. no one else, in the whole world, could have gotten away with this.

he had the dryer fixed in 10 minutes flat. while he told me stories of dryer fires, his time in the navy, and how much he disikes maytag, and architects. oh, he also believes all men are stupid. and providence is a hospital run the way its supposed to be run, because its run by women.

again, no one gets away with gender talk like this with me. except, now, for jim.

he shook my hand on the way out. told me he liked my handshake. and made me promise to dry a load of laundry tonight, and call him to confirm the dryer was good.

i haven't been so pleased to hand someone $131 for ten minutes of work in my entire life.

No comments: